La Trobe Reading Room
The Library’s most spectacular architectural highlight is the La Trobe Reading Room’s dome, a truly impressive centrepiece for a special event.
Exquisitely restored in 2003, the La Trobe Reading Room features custom-built desks of Queensland silky oak timber, heritage chairs and traditional green reading lamps. Centred under the soaring dome, the dais creates a unique setting for keynote speakers and live performances.
Host cocktails for up to 520 guests in the theatrically lit octagonal space, or choose the venue as the backdrop for your product launch, concert or other large-scale event. With spine-tingling views of the Dome Galleries’ balconies and cupola, the La Trobe Reading Room is also a perfect photo setting.
- Glass-panelled skylights creating natural light
- Opened in 1913, restored in 2003
- Stunning 35m-high domed octagonal ceiling
- Grand 1000m2 space
- Heritage furniture and interior decor
- Spectacular panopticon central dais
- Ideal for large-scale events