About the exhibition
Discover the people, places and events that have shaped Victoria. See Ned Kelly’s armour; encounter explorers and early settlers; gain insights into life on the goldfields; and explore aspects of daily life in Victoria in the 20th and 21st centuries. More than 160 new items from across our collections are now on display in our Changing face of Victoria exhibition.
- photographs, drawings and testimonials of the Chinese miners of the gold rush
- playbills and images that tell the story of Cremorne’s Gardens, Victoria’s first amusement park
- the personal papers of Detective John Christie, detailing his crime-busting work in Melbourne between 1866 and 1910
- the sketches, photographs and written accounts of World War I nurse Jessie Traill
- a selection of photographic portraits by Ruth Maddison from her series Women over 60.